by: belindajk - 27th February 2008

Husband and I rented a condo there for Sunday and Monday night and had a lovely time. All the staff we met were friendly and nice. The mid-week ski and stay is a great deal. We got 2 2-day lift tickets and 2 nights in a charming little fully furnished condo (with full kitchen, etc) for just about $400-- including taxes and fees. You can hardly beat that anywhere in Tahoe. Food prices at concessioners were similar to any other resort in Tahoe, which is to say, rather pricy. No surprise there. We mostly cooked in our kitchen, but we did have a hotdog one day at the village's hotdog stand and it was overpriced but delicious. At same stand, you can get 24 ounce beers at $8 a can for a good beer or $5 a can for a Coors Light. It was more crowded than we anticipated on a Monday/Tuesday, but still not bad at all. We never waited in a lift line longer than about 5 minutes. The other skiers and boarders we met were nice and we didn't encounter any rudeness. There was minimal "out of control" skiing and riding going on, so I give the clientelle a big thumbs up. Kirkwood is a favorite of expert skiers/riders, and I can see why. There is a lot of black and double black terrain. My husband and I weren't quite up to most of it. We can do single black providing the snow is soft but most of the single blacks were choppy and/or covered with killer moguls, even though a big storm dumped many inches of fresh the night before we arrived. So we were kind of limited in how much of the mountain we could see. We took one lift to the top so we could see it. We took Cornice up and skied down Olympic. It was super-challenging for us as intermediate skiers. We got down it fine and unharmed and enjoyed ourselves doing it, but it's not the kind of skiing we can just do all day. There were enough intermediate runs to keep us busy for the rest of our 2 day Kirkwood experience, but we had skied them all at least once or twice by the end of the 2nd day. So if you're a great skier/rider who loves steeps, moguls, and double blacks of all kinds, I think you will have a great time here. If you're an intermediate or beginning skier, you can have a good day here, but you might enjoy somewhere like Sierra at Tahoe (for the south shore) or Sugar Bowl (for the north shore) a little better. There they have that small resort feeling like Kirkwood but with more terrain available for intermediates.