by: CompanionCube - 23rd January 2013

close, cheap, small, easy
doesn't get much real snow. advanced runs aren't open yet

Went on a Saturday for a beginner lesson, since I haven't been skiing in 10 years (and back then I'd only done 2-3 times). When my boyfriend couldn't fit in the largest boots they had, they suggested snowboarding, but when he was unenthusiastic about that, they refunded him without any attitude. Great customer service. They even gave us some suggestions such as renting some boots from Buckmans or similar ski shop, which was helpful because I didn't know retail shops would rent just boots. When the lines for the rental skis was long, and it was almost time for the 10am lesson, a staffmember came and directed anyone scheduled for a lesson to go to the empty snowboard rental counter. Again, great customer service. The lesson was very thorough, and they pretty much had us abandon our poles before we even started, they really get you to feel totally comfortable and in-control on your skis before you go on the chairlift to ski the real hill. If you're an expert skier or boarder, don't come here. Please. Don't come here and knock over the beginners who are just learning. Don't come here and clog up the lift line and complain about everything. Go to the poconos and enjoy the places with steeper hills and more variety (not to mention trails that criss-cross beginner and advanced runs, makes no sense to me, I once made a wrong turn on Camelback from a beginner trail onto an expert trail, not fun!). Spring Mountain is perfect for beginners, close to King of Prussia (half hour drive), and reasonably priced (they have a discount for almost everyone on different weekdays, check their website), so if you've never skied before, this is the perfect place to try it out without the time/money to drive all the way to the poconos and spend more for a place where you're only going to be one 1-3 trails your first day anyway. Just be sure to check the "full report" on their website first if you are planning on doing snowtubing - the status is in red in the text above the map, so far this year no tubing. If the map legend says the tubing run is "open with 3 rails" that means it's set up for snowboarding, not tubing.