Engelberg Titlis Review

by: Jeremy Lees - Apr 16, 2008

Date Visited: Apr 16, 2008

Engleberg is an easy drive from the Luzern area and is pretty high, so stays open later in the season than many resorts and has good snow.
We are both pretty inexperienced, so were looking for some nice easy runs.
However, the easier runs are lower down and were closed during our stay (early April), so we were limited to the blue runs from the Joch, which you access from the Truebsee Hopper chairlift which carries you horizontally along the lake. You then take another chairlift up to the Joch
The only way down again from the Joch is via a red run, something which my wife found somewhat worrying...
We found the blues to be distinctly challenging for inexperienced skiers with some steep, narrow, tricky bends that we both found very awkward to negotiate. After this, my wife was really concerned about the red to get down again but, surprisingly, I reckon this was easier than the blues and we both ended up enjoying it as, although fairly steep at times, the piste was nice and broad with no nasty surprises.
Mt Titlis is very high and offers year-round skiing at the top, as well as great views. I'm told that one of the runs down from the top is not too difficult but we didn't actually try it.