by: Nanometre - 9th January 2012

Terrain OK, 6 seater bubble lift
Snowboarders going crazy and not caring

So, with low expectations yesterday my 2 boys (skiers, advanced) and I skied at Mt. Snow. Low expectations due to the lack of a winter, but was pleasantly surprised with the amount of open runs and conditions given the lack of natural snow, rain and overall warm winter so far. Kudos for the conditions....but the snowboarders were out of control. Given the low number of open runs and limited access to Carinthia, I understand that the available real estate to use was limited, but some of these guys did not respect anybody and rode with no limits - it was plain dangerous. Where the ski patrol was to control these snowboarders? Many were going way too fast on the green runs, threading the needle between people and cutting them off (many beginners)...right past some sni patrol people with no action. I haven't been to Mt. Snow in the past few years so I saw this as a chance to "come back" and re-acquaint myself with the mountain, but it seemed that all staff effort was to get people to move out of the drop zone of the 6 person lift zone only...and even with that, the snowboarders blocked the opening to the run right next to it. Other mountains don't have this issue (they've figured it out)....Mt. Snow has a responsibility to other users to figure this out - people get hurt with this sort of nonsense going on (and signs alone won't curtail this bad behavior - management action is the only solution). I saw enough carnage yesterday - I won't think I'll be back as it's much less frustrating and safer to ski elsewhere (Okemo, Killington, Stratton....anywhere but Mt. Snow) .