by: AZChris - 6th February 2007

Expensive: look on internet for Shell oil "2 for 1" deal on lift tickets & book rentals on line to save 20% (rentals in generally rough condition). Mountain is difficult to traverse and has lots of long flat spots at the bottom. Lifties about as friendly as a rattlesnake: one asked me if I was illiterate because I missed a sign, then "accidentally" tripped me with his rake. English is a second language in the rental/ticketing area and you get a different story from each person you speak to. I almost missed the beginning of the bump jamboree because no one could tell me where to meet. Glad I got there though b/c it was the highlight of the trip and I highly recommend it. Unless your idea of a good time is a red neck bar (the pub) or doing laundry while having a beer, there's not much to do here. The ride to the area would be great on a GSXR in the summer, but not in a rental after 18" of freshies. O.K., the trip wasn't a total disaster. The trees & bumps were better than most, but most of the lifts suck. Untamed Steakhouse (in town & expensive) & Jane grille (on mountain) were excellent & staff was fast & friendly. When they say "It's a local's mountain", I guess that means "don't expect much in the way of service or accomidations" or "go home at the end of the day". Or just "go home". Did I hate it? No. Am I glad I did it? Of course. Would I go back? Probably not. My advice: ski 1-2 days here, but stay in Breck/Key/Vail. Unless you're a local, then you should ski here every day and leave the rest of the state to the people who expect value and service in addition to great skiing on their vacation.