by: Bryan K. - 26th November 2011

Mulitple mountain tops, long trails, great staff
Food, no lodging.

I love Ski Sante Fe. I used to ski all the time in my teens, mostly New England (Stowe, Killington, etc...), then I quit for about 25 years. Mainly because there's no where to ski in Texas. I have been going for the 4 years since I moved ABQ. They helped me get started again and I was skiing the intermediate trails that same day. Doug at the ski school was sooo helpful ...on the phone and in person. Nobody else was scheduled in my class so I got 1 on 1 teaching ...or re-teaching ...lol. All the people complaining here are not regulars. You have to know when to go to have a great experience. If you go when schools out ...forget it. Weekends are very crowded too! I go during the week and 90% of the time ski up to the lift directly ....no lines. As for the complaints about lifts stopping so often, I guess they forget what it was like to be a beginner. Everyone started learning at some point. Nobody was born with skis (or snowboards) on. Be patient. There's no where to practice getting on a lift, but at the lift itself. If you stay in the upper part of the mountain (Millenium and Sierra lifts) you rarely have to deal with this problem. I love Totemoff's, the mid-mountain lodge, great hot chocolate ...ask for some cinnamon! I wish they had a warming lodge at the top though. I did put food as a con, but hey are you there to eat or to ski? Yes, it could be better, but they do have adequate to sometimes great food ...again depends on when you go. La Casa Cafeteria has some great items ...sometimes. I've had a butternut squash soup there that was outstanding! Their menu changes often, whereas Totemoff's always serves mainly burger type fare. I think the point of food (in this instance) is to re-energize, not to be a gourmet palace. Don't like the food ...bring your own. They have microwaves that are free to use. That or buy a Nutri-grain bar to tide you over. The road there? I love the road there, especially when it's covered with snow, ...it's part of the experience. I've seen tons of wildlife on the way there. Also it's a fun road, lots of twists and turns. The parking could be better. I see where the complaints are coming from and what there about, but again if you know when to go you won't have any problems. I get top lot parking everytime I go so I've never experienced what the others are complaining about. I don't get to go to the other ones in NM, because their just too far away. I ski all day, so I'm very tired at the end and it's about an hour and a half to drive back home, which in itself is very tiring. Any further and I'd be falling asleep at the wheel. That or any further and I'd have to get a hotel room. Probably for 2 nights too because if I only do one night and ski all day I'm still bushed for the drive home. I do wish they had lodging ...at the mountain. I will give one bit of advice ....if you've been to Ski Sante Fe, you won't like Sandia ...much smaller. I did only give it 4 stars ...only because 5 stars are reserved for the mega resorts like; Killington, Aspen, Vail, etc...