by: Shawn - 16th March 2011

Fun Trails through trees, NO PEOPLE!
Not much variety, Ski Lodge Burned Down

I received free lift tickets for Cockaigne as a Christmas Gift. I'm from Cleveland, OH and hesitated to make the drive due to low expectations from their website and reviews on here. Finally in mid March I decided to chance it before the season was over. I was quite surprised by the resort. It's a locally owned establishment, so no big fancy lodge, signs advertising, huge parking lot or lines of people, which TOTALLY adds to the experience and gives the place character. Most slopes are intermediate difficulty, but fine for any skier from Ohio or who isn't expecting a Colorado adventure in Western New York. Theres a few open faced slopes, and a few that wind through trees and merge together (VERY FUN). Theres also a very good slope on the far side of the mountain with its own lift, probably longest and bet trail at resort. Sadly, we learned that their old Ski Lodge had caught on fire and burned down in April. You can still see where it was and all the burnt bases. Very sad, and they aren't sure what to do next year with it. This place wasn't exactly Breckenridge, but DEFINITELY worth our 3 hour drive for the cheap price, no lift lines, and different resort than the rustle and bustle of every Monopoly Resort near it (Peak n Peek only 26 miles away). Strongly Recommended if you are just looking for an easy day of skiing. ps. I'm a snowboarder.