worth the trip

by: sja7 - Mar 9, 2011

Pros: diverse trail system, usually great conditions

Cons: can be subject to southern air, (warm spells)

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

We have been skiing here for 2 years. It is a 2 hour drive, but worth it. Western MD has very unique weather patterns, usually producing a lot of snow and excellent conditions. Wisp makes more out of 600 Vertical than any resort in the country. In all but one of our visits conditioins were perfect, and we usually go at night. Despite the low vertical, there are surprisingly long trails. Of course the Diamonds are relatively short, but still fun. I live within 20 minutes of 2 other resorts (both higher verticals) , and would rather drive an extra 100 miles to ski at wisp. The location is also desirable , as it is center to a lake resort. WHile we have never stayed long enough to experience anything outside of wisp, there certainly appears to be a lot of choices for all seasons. I have heard it can be crowded, but we avoid the slopes on holidays. I have yet to hear of a place that is not crowded during holiday weeks/weekends, so that is all relative . All encounters with staff have been friendly-