Disappointed. Not good for families with young kids.

by: Three2Ski - Mar 7, 2011

Pros: Great glades, good condos

Cons: Not a good place for families, lifts often closed

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2011

I spent a long weekend at Jay with my wife and 3 kids plus another family with 3 kids. I have friends who really like Jay and they have skied there a long time so I had to check it out for myself...

What I found out was that Jay isn't a great family resort for several reasons (my friends who ski there don't have kids). There are some nice trails and glades for younger kids but most of the terrain is more appropriate for intermediate and advanced skiers/riders which made it kinda boring for most of the kids doing the same 4 or 5 trails all day. Also I confirmed with some locals that weather is an issue there - the Tram was closed for 2 days, and so was Bonnie, and some other lifts for wind reasons. The Tram is cool but once you've done it, it's not really worth the wait again since it's only good for 60 people every 10-15 minutes or so if it's even open. You're much better off going over to the Flyer (easily the coldest and windiest lift I have ever been on and the locals call it the "Freezer") but it won't get you to the top - only the Tram will. Also there were no activities going on for the kids and if there were, they surely weren't advertised. Also there weren't really a lot of kids there anyway which would support my views as not being very kid-friendly. There were plenty of college age kids however and most of them were speaking French (though the F word is the same in their language and they use it a lot.) Again not great for kids.

The water park sounds neat for kids but I certainly would not go there just for that. The ice rink was nice but there is very limited seating and there was a tournament going on the entire weekend we were there, so we could not even use it and the kids really wanted to skate. Also the whole area is a mess with all the construction going on.

Customer service was not friendly at all. Originally they gave me a quote and when I called back to book the condo the rate had gone up by $500 since the person was "new" and had given me the wrong rate. Also, due to most of the lift capacity being shut down for 2 days they were not interested in issuing any type of credit or giving us any reason to ever go there again. So for that and the reasons mentioned, we sadly don't have a reason to ever go back and most likely won't.