by: Danny Zhang - 5th March 2011

Outstanding Expert Terrain, THE TRAM
slow lifts, poor base facilities

This is it, probably the best New Hampshire has to offer. I stayed for two days over the normal February Vacation, and it was pretty crowded, considering Cannon's reputation. There is a separate beginners area called the Tuckerbrook Area clogged with beginners and little kids in the ski school, which is not necessarily a problem. Out of all lifts, the Tuckerbrook quad has by far the longest lift lines. I used the quad two or three times to satisfy my terrain park fix, and liftlines were sometimes over 20 minutes long! Lines of the same volume elsewhere on the mountain moved along in 10 minutes or less. That being said, the main mountain is unbelievable. The Peabody Express Quad is perfect for accessing expert terrain, especially the Front Five. This is the only fast lift on the mountain however. Liftlines elsewhere are usually non-existent, but all other lifts besides the tram are slow as heck, which means freezing fingers and toes while riding up the Cannonball Quad (said to be express, but moves as slow as a fixed-grip). It was a powder day the day before I went, so the condition were still perfect, and the groomers were fast enough, but not icy. The wind was a constant, and on my second day the temperature at the summit was -6 with a windchill of -34. Steep groomers abound at this mountain of 2100 vertical feet, and carving them up after a powder day was a lot of fun. Tree runs are a little rare here, but are great as well. The only other terrain park besides the two in the Tuckerbrook area is long and has large and well-kept features, with basically its on chair to go with it. The one disappointment was Mittersill. I found it inconceivable that the day after Cannon received more than a foot of snow, Mittersill was still closed. It was still closed the next day, for reasons I will never know. The base lodge was fairly cramped, with little space, and many vacationers pouring in by 11:00. Overall, a great trip with the best terrain I had seen so far in the short time I have skied in my life (only my 10th and 11th day ever)