by: Daniel - 6th February 2011

Good Town
Choppy LIfts, Needs Snow, Very Expensive Dining

Telluride has an excellent downtown and Mountain Village base area which made up for some of the other disappointing areas of our trip. The downtown if very neat and has the most beauftiful views with lots of shopping and dining options. The Mountain Village also offers many options for Apres Skiing if you like to enjoy a drink after a day of skiing. We were offered a free taxi service called Dial-A-Ride which would take us anywhere in the Mountain Village area, which was very useful as we did not have the ski-in/ski-out option. The skiing was a little disappointing though. First and foremost, there is not a lift to the top of the mountain from the base area. To get there you have to ride 3 different lifts, which when it's cold as it was on our trip, makes for a miserable ride. But, once you get there the views are unmatched. The green and blue slopes have a bunch of flat areas so if you go on your trip with some intermediate skiers be prepared to do some poling. The double blues are more like black diamonds as most have moguls in combination with very steep hills.. I went with my wife so I spent most of our time on the greens and single blues. We woke up with soreness in our arms every morning because of all the poling on the flat parts. I did enjoy a couple of the double blues when I was able to ski on my own for an hour one afternoon, but again, if you are traveling with intermediate skiers you might want to look further. We had a snowboarder in our group and he called the first part of the run "See Forever" "Walk Forever" because he literally had to walk his snowboard 500 yards before strapping in because it was too flat for him to gain speed. But, I do have to say that once the "Walk Forever" part is over this is a really good long run to the bottom. Lastly, I'm the type of person who enjoys a nice dinner on vacation. And, I realize that Telluride is considered upscale but WOW. Be prepared to fork out cash even if you don't go out for dinner as lunch for my wife and I was in the $40 range.