Beautiful New England Pistes

by: alanmoroney - Jan 21, 2011

Pros: Town, Skiing, Srvice, views, restaurants

Cons: cold, wind

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

When I went, only a few miles of blue trails on the main Mount Mansfield were open and the beginners’ area on Mount Spruce, but they were excellent condition with great snow, and were quite challenging. Sadly the Gondola area was unable to open due to high winds.
In the afternoon, Spruce Peak opened its trails.
The ski school would not sell me a lesson package as they told me we would take too long to get across the resort to the operating lifts (as the cross-over gondola was closed due to high winds)and I would not get value for money – this was refreshingly honest and seems typical of the town and resort’s attitude. The resort had also warned me well in advance of coming to Stowe that only a proportion could be expected to be open so early in the season, so I was not all disappointed, in fact very pleased with my visit and look forward to returning again.

What was open were beautiful runs through trees, excellent and friendly service and some stunning scenery. We stayed down in the lovely town at the Green Mountain Inn – I would definitely recommend it. If you are not flush with money, check their website, gostowe.com and stowe.com for some great deals.