great Christmas present!

by: cmg - Jan 8, 2011

Pros: nice room, awesome view, family fun, lots of memories

Cons: pushy sales people

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

My husband and I decided this would be a nice Christmas present for our four children (ages 20, 17, 12 and 10)since we've never been skiing and snow is not something we see much of in Alabama. My sisters and their families went with us, making it a total of 12 people. We stayed in the Summit on Peak Drive and had the most beautiful viewI've ever seen. It overlooked the slopes and at night it was awesome. Three deer stood outside our window while we ate breakfast one morning and we saw many more throughout the week. I learned to ski without ski school but my sister and brother-in-law enrolled in a class and recommend it for everyone. My children picked it up very quickly but my husband and I took many falls and have many bruises. We took the younger ones to the waterpark one day and they had a blast! The kids loved the rec center as well. Walmart is only about 10-15 minutes away so we went there and bought groceries for the week. We ate most meals in our room with the exception of our dinner at the Fairways Restaurant and a Japanese steakhouse in Harrisonburg. Both were very good. Skiing was expensive but as I said, it was our first time and I've heard it is expensive everywhere. I was concerned about doing laundry but it is very conveniently located right downstairs. Also, it says there is no hairdryer but ours had one. The only negative thing that we encountered was the tour that my husband agreed to. I was asleep in the car when we arrived and he checked in without me. They talked him into a tour and gave him two activity cards. He told them he wasn't sure I would agree to it so they assured him that as long as we didn't use the cards we could cancel. They took his credit card number in case we used the activity cards and did not show up for our tour. When we got settled in our room I told him we already had plans to go to D.C. that day so we tried to cancel the tour and take the cards back. We couldn't get in touch with anyone and did many activities without using the cards. When my husband tried to take the unused cards back they would not credit our visa and said we would be charged $200.00 if we didn't do the tour. We ended up having to do the tour and are waiting to get credited our money. We made it very clear that we were very unhappy and didn't appreciate them misleading us. I think it is something worth mentioning to others so they don't make the same mistake! We had a wonderful trip and would recommend it WITHOUT a tour.