great mountain for families

by: mrcompgov - Jan 1, 2011

Pros: varied trails for different abilities, very friendly

Cons: slow lifts, spare lodge

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

Our family of 5, kids 6, 9 and 11 and my wife who dislikes cold, speed and bumps, had another great holiday week at Crotched Mountain. Unforunately, my 9 year old took a bump too fast and twisted his ankle. Able to ski to the lodge, my wife had him checked out by very attentive, knowledgable, friendly and helpful EMTs. Since he could not ski the rest of the day, and he had only had three runs, they refunded the two lift tickets on a gift card. My two other kids and I skied the rest of the day, having a great time together. After a day of rest, the five of us were back on the slopes, and we were able to ski the whole mountain (except UFO and Equinox trails that were steeps with moguls - dunno what the other review meant by saying there were no bumps - these two trails were definitely bumps.) My wife could stay on Super nova and gain confidence, my 11 year-old rider could gain some jib experience on the big jumps on the two parks, and my young skiers could challenge themselves from the top of the mountain.

While experienced and highly skilled skiers would not find this mountain all that challenging, it was great for th efive of us - varied terrain, increasing difficulty of trails that included straight steeps and windy middle-difficulty trails. The people were very nice, very few rude, wild or disrespectful skiers or riders and the staff were pleasant and experienced. We travelled from outside of Philadelphia to New Hampshire for the kid's winter break, and made a point of returning to Crotched after our excellent experience last year. We are probably getting to the point in our skiing skills (we all started about 5 years ago, but have not gone outside the Poconos and Crotched) that we will be graduating to bigger ski areas. However, we heartily recommend Crotched for families of differing abilities.

The only draw-back is the lodge - while clean, with tasty and reasonably-priced food, it is spare, small and boring.