Less is More

by: maasman - Mar 9, 2010

Pros: Great pow, trees, easily hikable terrain, no lines

Cons: none

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

Just left Wolf Creek and my buds and I loved every minute. We were surprised right off the bat by plenty of fresh powder, even though we had been watching the weather and none was forecast. We had fresh every day for 3 days. No wind, temps in low 30's. Great base meant great tree skiing and Wolf Creek has oodles of it. Made a couple of hikes up to Alberta Peak and another ridge and had fresh tracks in knee deep!

I did not rate this mountain for family, terrain park or nightlife because I was not there for a family trip, don't care about terrain parks and knew in advance that it is not a full service resort, i.e. nightlife.

FYI, this is a skiers mountain. No frills. It is located at the top of Wolf Creek Pass with a base elevation of about 10,000 feet. There is no lodging. There are no restaraunts, etc. There is a basic base lodge with cafeteria with bar. An hour after lifts close, the place is empty. Pagosa Springs about 25 miles to the west is where we stayed and it was a great little town with lodging and we found great food. Southfork is the closest town to the east of Wolf Creek.