Taos is the real deal - Best in NM

by: Blackskier - Jan 29, 2010

Pros: Great, steep terrain for advanced skiers

Cons: No high speed lifts

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

Taos has always been one of my favorite mountains, since first skiing there in 2001. It has much better advanced terrain than most of the Summit Co. resorts, but the good snow season is usually from Mid January to early March. I've been there three times during Spring breaks, and 2 out of 3 years the temperatures were above 60°F all week... too packed, mushy, or thinning to really enjoy the steeps. So get there in Feb. and you won't be disappointed. Fresh dumps are needed to keep the steeps skiable by Spring break or later.

I admit that the old no snowboarder rule always kept the mountain crowd free, and motivated me to go even during the holidays or Spring breaks, but Taos still manages to keep the crowd spread over the mountain & lift lines are generally short.

The boarders have certainly not degraded Taos in my opinion. If they can handle the steeps, then more power to them. I'd never want to give up my four edges on the steeps at Taos, and most boarders stay off the blacks and double black runs. I also think the overall difficulty of the terrain keeps the crowds down, because Taos has limited beginner terrain. Even Greens like Honeysuckle or White Feather would be rated blues at most Colorado resorts, so many Intermediate & below skiers find Taos intimidating. Taos' Blue runs would be rated Blacks at Breckenridge or Keystone.

I find the town of Taos to be a special place, and has much more character than many of the Co. resort towns with big reputations. To me Taos is genuine, and puts on no airs - lots of artists, galleries, and some grown up hippies. Most resteraunts are a fair value with lots of variety. My favorites, the City Grille and Orlando's.

My only wish to improve Taos would be to see them add at least three high speed lifts. The old lifts just need to be replaced. One is severely needed at the base, another at the Kachina Chair, and one on the right side of the mountain near the Ridge. The existing lifts are well placed, but Taos needs to modernize the old, outdated slow ways up. The owners really need to invest some of the proceeds back into the mountain. Lift service really pales by comparison to any of the Summit County, Co resorts. Even Crested Butte has really improved by their three newer high speed quads. I beg the Blake family to keep up and improve the lifts over the next 5 yr.