by: Sally Black - 6th January 2009

Reach from Oslo by tram, great atmosphere, fast lifts
Walk or shuttle from tram stop to slopes

I wasn't expecting a whole lot when I heard Oslo had its own ski area you could reach by tram from the city centre. However as I headed up with my family we were soon admiring the great views that appeared and also passing famous landmarks like the ski jump. At the top we took a 5 minute shuttle bus ride to the ski area in a mini bus. Here we were very imporessed by a very modern base lodge buiiding - all stone, wood and glass with hi tec rental service and lift tickets provided by friendly, helpful people. A magic carpet conveyor takes up from there to the top of the slopes - a choice of long carving blues or steeper ruins down thrpough the trees, most of which is also a giant terrain park. Then there's a fast quad back up. It's not huge but there are more lifts and runs to enjoy and its all floodlit till late at night most evenings. Then you can get the tram back down for some capital city apres ski. not many other capitals you can get that. The Norwegians are great, just a pity the food and drink costs so much.