Great place for families and newbies!

by: cuasterose - Feb 25, 2011

Pros: Great instructors and children's ski program

Cons: Main lodge can get really crowded and food is expensive.

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

My kids and I took up skiing this month, and I have to say that because of our positive experience, we are now hooked! Our first lesson occurred during President's Day weekend, which I wouldn't suggest learning how to ski during one of the busiest ski weekends of the season! Still, even with the mobs of people, I was really impressed with how quickly we were able to get our lift tickets and rental equipment. The staff were multi-tasking like crazy, but still maintained a pleasant attitude and were very helpful. Many kids were signed up for the children's learn to ski programs, but the instructors kept everything very organized. I felt really at ease leaving my 6 year old in their hands for 2 hours. My 4 year old took the parent-tot program with my husband (who is an intermediate skier). The instructor had her skier along with her daddy in no time! As for myself, there were 8 people in my group including me. The day was extremely windy, so it was really difficult for us newbies. Nevertheless, our instructor made the experience fun, even humorous as we were all blown down the bunny slope by the endless gusts of wind! All in all, I had a blast and so did my kids.
A few days later, I decided to go back at night time and get another group lesson. Great idea! It was very quiet and not at all crowded. There was only one other person in my group and we received a lot of one on one attention. The instructor even stayed with us to give us more instruction and tips a half hour after the lesson was supposed to end! That's another thing I'm really impressed with. The people who work there are extremely knowledgeable about skiing and it's obvious they all have a passion for the sport.
The next day the entire family went yet again. My son took a snowboarding lesson while my husband, daughter and myself hung out at the beginner slopes. Thanks to the instructors, my daughter and I were skiing like champs! My husband decided that we were ready to try some of the green trails, so we got onto the chair lift and headed up. We went on Deer Run first, and I was in for quite a shocker! Although the trail is considered easy, for a newbie like me I was shocked to see how winding and steep it was! There is definitely no in between trail between the beginner slope and green trail. Still, I kept in mind what I learned and ski downed to bottom without falling. My little girl skied by daddy's side like a champ! After that, we tried Victor's Way and Pine. Again, for a newbie like me it was quite a thrill ride, but my daughter had no fear. My husband went by himself up the more advanced trails and really enjoyed himself, although he was surprised by how easy parts of the advanced trails were.
The kids were properly tired at the end of the day and my son had a blast at his snowboarding lesson. Just one piece of advice; you might want to bring your own food and snacks. The food and drink is outrageously expensive! Overall a memorable family experience, and we can't wait to get back out there again. :)