by: yodeledihoo - 24th November 2007

Well I just got through reviewing my other favorite southwestern ski area (Taos), and so I thought I’d toss in my two cents about Wolf Creek as well. I cant say which is better because the two of them play to different strengths. And Wolf Creek’s forte is the POW. Yes, you gotta love it when you get to Pagosa Springs late on a Friday night and you notice the snow flakes start drifting down from above. Heaven is a place on Earth when you ski at Wolf Creek after a long snowy night. Even without new snow I still like the variety of terrain the area has to offer, but it’s really the powder days that knock you out – oh, that light, fluffy, rocky mountain powder. If you werent able to tell, I’ve relocated from the Southwest to the wet cement, snow region of the Northwest, and something is definitely missing from my life. Overall, the ski area is small and quaint with a local feel to it that I find infinitely more appealing than the larger commercial operations in Summit County, CO (except you my sweet, little and yet naughty A-basin). I havent been there since they installed the new lift for the back area, and I can only hope to try it out sometime soon. I only lament that it’s opened up an area that was exclusively for the hiking/traversing type and so the snow probably gets tracked sooner. Never mind. Im probably being silly since that place never seems to run out of great snow and hidden caches of pow. As far as the negative reviews here, they’re probably protective locals trying to keep their little piece of Nirvana hidden and to themselves. And don’t forget to relax in the public springs along the river in Pagosa after you’ve had a long day of snow snorkeling.