by: Hochard - 25th November 2010

Exceptionally friendly community of residents and skiers.
How can there possibly be a negative when skiing?

Our first visit to the Wolf Creek Ski Area was Monday, November 22, 2010. I would like to commend all of the Wolf Creek staff on their ability to maintain a professional demeanor during a difficult day. We are sorry for the loss. Our second visit to the Wolf Creek Ski Area was Tuesday, November 23, 2010. Again, the Wolf Creek staff was professional and diligent in their effort to provide a beautiful day of skiing, in spite of the loss to the community. The drive to the mountain up Hy 160 through the Wolf Creek Pass is a challenge. I drove our 2001 Hyundai Sonata up both days. A sedan can serve as transport for an early season trip but I would recommend an SUV during later season visits. The pass is expertly maintained by CODOT, Great Work! On day one, the road was icy and it was snowing eight-inches for the day. I have tire chains for my Sonata and I would have used them if needed but the car drove well at 20 mph to 35 mph, dependant on the road terrain sometimes I drove slower than 20 mph. There were many fools driving 60 mph or greater on Hy 160 through the pass; however, I would not recommend driving that fast on ice. In addition, I would not permit someone that I ride with to drive that fast on ice. On day two, the road was relatively clear, the sun was shining, and there was no new snow. As with any ski resort, there are positives and negatives. I am a fan of better-marked trails at all resorts so that I do not have to guess which trail I am skiing when the mountain is new to me. The guest should not have to stop and look at a map.