by: runner/skier - 20th January 2010

It's Huge
It's Huge

I had been looking forward to skiing Vail for years, so when I finally got to ski there two years ago, it was with a great deal of anticipation and excitement. Contrary to the majority of the people who have posted a review here, I was somewhat disappointed with my day of skiing there. The snow conditions were good, but I have to tell you that Vail is the least favorite of the Colorado areas I've been to to date. My general impression of Vail is that it is so big that you can end up spending a lot of time on cat tracks and long runouts unless you have a clear sense of how to get to the kind of skiing that you like. It was crowded the day we went, and we just didn't get a lot of vertical in, even though we skied all day. To be honest, I have had more fun skiing the powder at Sunlight than I did the day I went to Vail. Skiing Vail is expensive for sure, but then again, most of the big resorts are expensive. I would like to go back to Vail some year to have the kind of experience that I have read about on these pages. People seem to be really taken by their Vail experiences and I would like to try Vail again.