Vail Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 20, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 20, 2008

My son and I visited Vail for the first time early January 2008. I went as part of continuing education courses being held at the Lion Square Lodge. We stayed at this lodge as well. I am an intermediate skier in my mid 50's and my son is an intermediate/advanced snowboarder, 30. On this trip I decided to learn how to board. I did, and other than finding out why you should wear a helmet, I had a great experience. Two days boarding and one day skiing.

As for the Lion Square Lodge, it was very nice, wonderfully convenient to the Eagle Bahn gondola and ski run back down. We were treated very nice and have no complaints. It is not cheap, but I don't think you can expect bargain rates for the facilities and location.

As for the slopes, I think you can find something for every one. While we were there, it snowed most every day and night so finding powder was not an issue. We even found knee deep powder on part of a green slope.

As for the community, as one reviewer mentioned, there is quite a bit of construction, but that didn't cause us any problem. Since we stayed in the Lionshead area we mostly stayed around there. There are several shops and restaurants within walking distance. Some of the restaurants were excellant, some not so good. We could have hit one on an off night.

I haven't been to a lot of ski resorts and areas, but Vail has to be up high on any ones list.

Oh, one final thought. Fly into Eagle County airport rather than Denver. Not only is it closer, but the possibility of the roads getting closed to Denver are much higher than to Eagle County.

Will I go back, I sure hope so.

DC from Florida