by: Craig - 16th December 2009

Great Town, Good Cruising Runs
Long Drive

First time to Steamboat. It was an early season deal we sailed in on so we weren't really expecting fantastic snow but I thought the conditions were good on the terrain that was open and each day we skied they got about 4 new inches of fluffy. They opened a handful of new runs by our third day and I was happy to find a nice tree run to drop into. The snow that did fall was nice and soft, very good snow to soften up the groomers. I'd really like to come back to Steamboat during peak season since about 2/3rds of their terrain was closed. It looked like there were a lot of nice cruising runs that would be great if under a blanket of pow. There didn't look to be anything too gnarly out there, but just some nice cruising runs that would be fantastic under pow. The apres ski was fabulous! We had a great time the first night between the Slopeside bar ($3 beer!) and Tugboat (Live band). Saturday our group went downtown and hit some of the local bars. I must've been having too much fun because I can't remember any of the names of the places we went. We hit Strawberry Hot Spring too after skiing which was awesome, definitely recommend doing that on a clear night. There was no moon so the stars were brilliant! All in all, it was a great trip! Can't wait to come back!