by: bwm30 - 8th March 2009

GREAT snow, lifts, vertical terrain, variety
a bit pricey, tough to get to

I visited Steamboat in early February and I am so glad that I did. I almost did not go due to it being a little off the beaten path. The town is charming and has plenty to do for apres-ski. The mountain is truly varied and offers so much for every type of skier. If you enjoy tree skiing I do not think it gets much better than Steamboat, there are numerous runs that take you through beautiful, powder-filled tree terrain. There are great cruiser slopes and great beginner runs as well. The lifts are fantastic and they are very well set up, if you want to get a ton of vertical in one day Steamboat is set up to give it to you. The tram is fast and gets you up plenty of vertical but then there are numerous high-speed quads that take you to even more terrain and vertical. Steamboat has a great vibe in general, the fact that team USA is there and the town pervades the attitude of being Ski-Town USA makes the whole experience even better. I found that Steamboat has a young yet traditional attitude to skiing, it was refreshing. I HIGHLY recommend this mountain, I will be returning very soon.