by: anonymous_user - 14th January 2008

First the good. We were at Steamboat from Jan 5 to Jan 11. We stayed at Storm Meadows Club Condos. We were pleasantly surprised with these accommodations. I’m sure there could always be better, but we were more than satisfied. And contrary to several reviews, the ski in/ski out was OK. Just a little bit a walking on the ‘ski in’, but truly better than having to catch a shuttle. The skiing was excellent. Of course it snowed every day. On the 8th I was actually the 1st skier down Tomahawk. Groomed with 3 inches of power. Truly felt like I was skiing a back country mountain. Never experienced anything like it before and that run alone would have made my whole trip. But the other days of skiing were almost as good. Except maybe too much powder. Lines were never an issue. And we had 2 1st time skiers who felt very comfortable on the runs and lifts. Now the bad. I’ve read several comments about the staff at Steamboat being rude or otherwise unfriendly. I believe you can find ‘bad apples’ at any tourist spot as it seems there are always people working at these locations who resent tourists, even though tourists are what allows the place to exist. But I also believe the odds of coming in contact with one of the few to be small. But I, like many others, did indeed experience some ‘unfriendly’ staff. One seemed to think I was getting too close to him in the line, even though I’m certain I never touched him, nor do I believe my skis ever came into contact with his. But with my eagerness to get on the mountain, I suppose it is possible my skis came into contact with his... And I myself do not like it when someone gets their skis on the back of mine. But to call me out in line as if I was trying to do something personal to his back side was just too much. And yes, he was part of the staff. I believe he was an instructor, although he had no students with him at the time. And as another poster commented, if you come down the blue trails toward Sunshine Express, you come to the lift on the wrong side. And this requires you to ‘skate’ a bit to get to the entry point. But there is a staff entry that is much shorter. With no line (and no staff) as was the case most of the time, seems they wouldn’t have an issue with a customer entering via the staff line. But no. With not another single person anywhere near the line, you were still required to go to the main entry point. I found this very annoying and unnecessary. Given these unfortunate incidents, I do not believe we will be returning to Steamboat anytime soon. And that’s a shame. It is a beautiful mountain with some great powder. But I spend too much money there to be treated so poorly.