by: Andrew - 29th January 2014

Awesome terrain, no lift lines, friendly locals
None

Awesome terrain, fast lifts, no lines, great tree skiing, and very friendly locals. Steamboat is my new favorite resort in Colorado! I have been to every major resort in CO, except for Telluride and Crested Butte, and Steamboat is by far my favorite! This was my third time here and it just keeps getting better. I have been to several great resorts in Colorado that seem to only want your cash, but everyone who lives and works here is very proud of Steamboat, both the mountain and the town itself, in the most unpretentious way. The locals genuinely want you to enjoy your time here and go out their way to offer dinner suggestions, directions, you name it! HOT TIP: (literally!) When we came staggering in with noodle legs after a full day on the mountain, the friendly (did I mention the locals are very friendly? ;) ) girl at the front desk of our hotel suggested a soak at nearby Strawberry Hot Springs, gave us a map, and told us the faster of the two ways to get there. Boy were we glad we did! This place was huge with three natural spring fed pools: one at 104 degrees, another at about 95, and a third that was so cold (maybe about 38) it made my teeth rattle and body parts shrink!) No alcohol is allowed (they checked our backpack), but a few strategically placed flasks and beers were no problem. Clothing is optional after dark, but it is so hard to see you can only make out the silhouette of the hot girl who just slithered in the pool butt naked. The last 1/4 mile of the road is sketchy without 4WD and bring a flashlight for the walk down from the parking lot.