by: Robert Derryberry - 29th February 2012

No lift lines. Trails basically to ourselves. Lodging very close.
Small lodge. Staff is scarce. Runs aren't marked very clearly.

This was my first visit to SolVista - it's been a great experience. Fresh powder both days I was in town, and since it was the middle of the week, the runs were all to myself. No lift lines whatsoever! It's the same distance from Denver as Vail/Breckenridge and the pricing is much lower. Also, there seem to be less people at SolVista. While I didn't try it - their terrain park looked really nice. If you snowboard, there are a few flat spots in some of the runs but they are completely passable if you know where they are and keep your speed up. The staff on site aren't readily available, and it's difficult to tell who works at the resort and who does not. The few staff members I did have contact with outside of the lodge were very short with me. Not rude, just not great at making me feel welcome. The staff inside the lodge are helpful and friendly, though. Also, the lodge is incredibly small - they only have about 60-70 lockers of all the same size. The restaurant inside the lodge is open all day for breakfast lunch and dinner - so it's nice to go grab something before and after a day on the slopes.