Lacking snow but still super fun

by: aaron w - Jan 19, 2010

Pros: Excellent terrain, they have a helicopter!, nice guides

Cons: Emphasis on safety may be a little high

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

Let me start off by saying that if you're considering skiing or riding here you should. It is definitely a cool experience. The San Juans are so different compared to other mountains in CO.

I went with a friend in mid January and we both agreed that it was definitely worth the time and money. The snow conditions were actually pretty poor the day we rode there. Our guide made up for it by taking us on some really cool terrain.

Prior to going I read some reviews on this site. I wouldn't put too much faith in any of these (the negative ones). You just need to try it for yourself. If you have a positive attitude and are in somewhat good shape the guides will definitely try and show you the best time possible. We took three runs the day I went (they were all cool in different ways). Our group hiked to billboard the first run, took a heli over to a cool chute for the second and rode some trees the final run. The helicopter is only a $150 for a drop! The ride is about a minute or two but it's so worth it.

The only thing negative I can say about the place is that if you get put in a group that isn't on the same riding/hiking ability as you it could be frustrating (This didn't happen to me. My group was awesome). I think if this happened you could always voice your concern to the guide. They'd probably try and put you in a different group if possible. I was with two of the guides for the first run and talked to a third later in the day. They were all super nice.

The emphasis on danger was kind of funny. I'm not saying that something bad couldn't happen but I think they remind you of it a little too often. They will take you on a hike that you could easily roll several hundred yards down the mountain and won't think/say anything of it but as soon as there is any danger on your board or skis that's all they seem to want to talk about. The hiking in my opinion was more dangerous than the riding we did. I didn't see this as a negative though. The hiking was cool!

Bottom line is that it's a cool place and I had a memorable time. I will do it again. If you don't want to hike or you plan on taking 20 runs this probably isn't the place for you. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five was because the snow conditions weren't the best. That may be unfair because I don't think there's anything they can do about that.