by: Nick Pope - 24th October 2010

Terrain
bathrooms

Silverton is a mountain I only venture to in the big weekday dumps in April. I have had 6 bottomless powder days here where I was in the first 5 chairs. This mountain is very difficult and avalanche gear(beacon, probe, and shovel) is required to get on the lift. The terrain varries from chutes, couloir's, bowls, cornice, cliffs, and lots of trees. If you have $300 laying around you can buy two heli-drops. I have never skied Silverton during guided due to money, but if you pay attention to the weather, watch for big weekday storms hitting 12,300 ft in April. Get to the lift line about 7 and stash your skis at the front of the line. April is unguided skiing and only open Fri., Sat., Sun., so big weekdays have accumulated untouched all week. The yurt is where you get your lift ticket, and pints of beer(same counter). There is no warm food for sale so I always bring a grill and start tailgating around 1. Silverton is the place where you will be scared, thrilled, and worn out. The nighlife in the winter is fun if you like saloons and old hard rock miners fightin, and drinkin, and telling stories. All in all I think Silverton is a great little town summer and winter. I would recomend getting out there sometime. Just remember "YOU COULD DIE HERE TODAY."