by: john dertz - 4th August 2010

great skiing
cold in the yurt

My buddies and I had been thinking of going to Silverton for a few years now, it was always too long of a trip, or not the right time for the whole group – what a mistake. This place is so otherworldly I feel like I might of missed out by not coming earlier. We skied 5 of the best runs of the year, not always because of super deep pow (which we did find) but because of the huge variety – tight chutes, steep open faces, sheltered trees and some sweet natural features. It really is amazing that so much can be accessed by just one lift when you put in a little grunt work on the hikes. I was a little intimidated by all the talk of death and danger, but once the day got going our guide (Stan) loosened up and we had a great time. He did make sure to keep an eye on us as we skied one at a time, which I appreciated considering the avalanches that run around there. I understand why some of the reviewers could be upset because I saw some ‘bros’ in the yurt when I got there that seemed too cool for school. These same folks also looked super tired (as did I) at the end of the day in the bar at the yurt. We are already planning our trip for next season so we don’t have to miss out on another great time – I can’t wait!