by: Troy - 3rd April 2009

Long Runs, Lots Of Variety, No Crowds, No Yuppies, Lots Of Snow
Windy At Times, Can Become Lonely Sometimes (LOL!), Not As Many Tree Runs, No Nightlife

I took my fiance, who had never skied before, and she did great. The easy slopes are awesome for beginners, mostly because they are not crowded and there is plenty of room to mess up, which she did many times! Now for me, I ski the ridge. The vertical is tremendous and so is the view, especially from the divide. It is usually windy and bone chilling there, but I highly advise getting a few pictures if possible. The ride up is long and cold, so bundle up, especially when the sun isn't out and the wind is blowing. Make sure if you are high intermediate to advanced you head over to the north side. It's not the easiest to get over there, you almost have to cross country ski in some places, but it's worth it, nobody goes over there! Loveland seems to always have great snowfalls in late March and even all the way into mid April (which is usually the time I go), so you are almost always assured great fresh powder. When I first starting skiing a while back, I spent a lot of time skiing Copper, Breckenridge, Keystone, Winter Park, etc., you know the big resorts! They all have great memorable runs, but I'm kind of selfish. I love the locals (even though I'm not one!) and the smaller crowds much better and that's what keeps me coming back to Loveland and also Arapahoe, which is only up the road about 20 min. Those two places are the only ones in Colorado where I get compliments, not laughs, at my all camo ski gear. What can I say, I like to be a little different! Which is precisely why I now spend all my time at Loveland and Arapahoe.