Great Early Season Destination

by: hmelawyer - Feb 25, 2010

Pros: Great conditions; great price; friendly staff

Cons: No lodging

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Nov 1, 2009

We went to Loveland in early November to get some snow under our skis and boards as soon as we could. We had some obvious anxiety about conditions so early in the season and were checking conditions almost daily in the weeks heading up to our trip, but Loveland more than delivered. We arrived on a Thursday and at that point only Lift 1 was spinning, but the runs were in great shape, including both green and blue top to bottom runs. Friday they opened up a single run off of Lift 6 (Roulette) and then on Saturday they opened Lift 2. Snow overnight on both Thursday and Friday made conditions great for the following mornings. Though the parking lot got crowded on Saturday there was never more than a 5 minute line for any lift. Ski patrol was always visible and was friendly and interactive with guests. Also saw them being very quick to respond and assist several skiers/boarders who encountered difficulties. On this trip my wife decided to give up skiing and switch to Snowboarding. She signed up for lessons and was very impressed with her teacher. I will be back to Loveland next year for my early season fix (and maybe later in the season too, if I can swing it).
Only complaint is that there is no lodging immediately adjacent to the area. We stayed in Breck (which opened during our stay, but with only one trail) and early morning commute from Breck to Loveland was scary in the non-all wheel drive rental car after overnight snow. I hope one day a permit is granted to place some sort of lodging nearby.