Great for Glades and Groomers

by: beachbumltj - Feb 1, 2011

Pros: Glades, Groomers, Lifts, Friendly

Cons: Busy on Weekends, Good Terrain Close Early

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2011

I spent 3 days out at Keystone in late January and had a really good time. I've also been there for night skiing once each of the past 2 years. From my experience, the complaints about lack of snow are justified; they just don't get as much as other resorts. If you want to find powder at Keystone, you need to take the cat from the Outback (well worth the $5) or dip into the trees.

What you will get on the mountain:

Blue groomers. And plenty of them. The ride down the front face of Dercum Mountain seems to last forever, which is great since you don't need multiple lifts to get to the top. Great if you're a beginnerish intermediate. Mozart and Prospector are also long (fairly crowded) groomers good for the lower skill levels. When I was learning to snowboard a few years ago, I thought the greens were a little steep in parts, maybe not the best for true beginners.

Glades. EVERYWHERE. They really run the gamut from open to tight and shallow to steep. To me, this was hands down the best part about Keystone. The Grizz was my absolute favorite until it spat me out on a completely flat and very narrow catwalk. The Windows were also fantastic. Don't let the trailmap fool you, the run to the Windows is downhill until about Gun Barrel. Any of the runs in the Black Forest (north side of the Outback) are looong, fun glades. Glades on the south side of the Outback are also great, just make sure you keep your speed up for the Willows runout.

Moguls. But pretty much only on North Peak and the Outback. Powder Cap and Ambush were fantastic, nice and soft. The moguls on Geronimo and Cat Walker were larger and more hardpack.

What you won't get on the mountain:

Powder. Unless you're in the trees. Most trails are groomed (or moguled)

Short lift lines on the weekends, especially at the Outback.

As for the resort itself, everyone was really friendly. We stayed at the Lakeside Village, but rather than wait for the shuttle, we just drove to the free parking lot. It's too spread out though, in general. The resort bars are nothing special. If you're down with the dive scene, go to the Goat for cheap beer. Keystone wasn't my first choice, but I had a good time.