Eldora Mountain Resort Review

by: anonymous_user - Feb 12, 2008

Date Visited: Feb 12, 2008

I have skiied Eldora only a few times (8 years apart). The first time was in 2000 and I skiied midweek on a number of occasions. I loved the fact that the mountain was quiet, people were friendly and that the area was reasonably small. I returned two weeks ago, and I am delighted to say that not much has changed. I skiied midweek once again and there were no queues, good snow conditions, no lift lines and friendly staff and skiiers. The terrain remained as I remembered with a mixture of intermediate runs and a few challenging steep glades - not a massive range but enough to keep you content for a couple of days at a time.

Growing up skiing in Scotland, the "ice" and "wind" conditions mentioned are simply a Coloradans way of saying I do not know how to carve an edge on hardpack (my wife is from Colorado as are many friends so I feel just in saying this). Although I have experienced the strong winds mentioned, it was only once or twice that it was actually something that you needed to think about i.e. wrap up more.

So, if you want to try something slightly smaller which is perhaps a throwback to what skiing used to be (before real estate became more important than the actual ski experience), then I would give Eldora a try Monday through Friday. Although there are no frills, it is nice and refreshing to ski somewhere where the mountain, the fun and good old skiing/boading is what the hill offers - nothing more and nothing less.