by: mdickmann - 16th October 2007

• Nightlife

Had a nice time at Purgatory in Feb '06. I would rate it at 4.5. The weather was a little warmer than I liked, temps up above freezing during the day, but had several snowfalls over the week to provide some fresh snow. Elevation was a little lower than some other places in CO, therefore less time spent getting used to lower O2 levels ( for us Florida people). Plenty of room on the mountain, no crowds, short lift lines. My daughter liked most of the instructors at the ski school and she seemed to do well. The cost is less than places such as Snowmass. Purgatory seemed like a decent family place for skiing. We stayed at Cascade Village about a mile or 2 up the road. The bus service between there and the lifts is not as reliable as desired. Cascade Village was quiet with very friendly people at the desk and restaurant and very few people staying there during the week. We needed a pot for spaghetti at our condo and the restaurant loaned us one. The Indian dwellings at mesa verde are within a couple hours drive and make for a nice side trip. As far as nightlilfe and fine dining; the restaurant where we stayed was good but open only for the weekend, the ski area offerings were limited, but Durango had plenty of restaurants and tourist stuff but farther than I wanted to drive after exhausting myself after a day of skiing. Therefore, our kitchenette was our source of meals. We rented our skis at a place down the road which was much cheaper that at Purgatory.