by: Rob - 30th March 2010

Friendly, variety of trails
Limited off-piste options, lifts need updating

I reviewed DMR (aka Purgatory) a couple years ago, but after skiing it again last weekend, felt my review warranted an update. I still like Purgatory a lot, and love the town of Durango. However, the terrain options here do pale a bit in comparison to some big resorts I've skied lately. If you enjoy cruising nice groomers, there are a lot of wide boulevards that you'll find agreeable. If you're looking for steeper, more demanding trails, or bump skiing, there's some of that, too, but not a great deal of it. There is a new area for tree skiing that's been added this year called McCormick's Maze, to the far right side of the mountain off Lift 8. I didn't get a chance to ski it, but it's nice to see the mountain expanding the options for advanced skiers. Purgatory doesn't really cater to that crowd, however...I suspect they realize that the young chargers in this area of Colorado are either skiing Silverton, 40 miles up the road, or skinning up tracks in the San Juan backcountry, not shelling out bucks for a lift ticket. Speaking of the lift network, it could use some investment. Lift 5 is a creaky old double chair, and even the triple on Lift 8 is pretty darn slow and doesn't even have a foot rest. Call me fussy, but if I'm skiing laps, I'd like to rest my tired old legs on the ride up. As I said in my original review, the 4-star nightlife rating is for the town of Durango, 25 miles away from the resort. if you are staying on the mountain, you'll have to make your own fun. I recommend staying in Durango, or close by, because it's a great 4-season mountain town with some really great restaurants. Try the Southwest Chicken Pizza at the Steamworks Brewing Co., chased down with a Conductor IPA.