Living the Dream

by: jakay11 - Feb 18, 2009

Pros: No crowds as its hard to get to

Cons: Its hard to get to, so No Crowds

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2009

Denver is 4-5hrs away, Grand Junction is 3, the nearest Target is 1.5hrs away, the nearest McDonalds 30min away.
There are no traffic lights in town, and no chain stores or restaurants... and that's the way the locals like it.
A free shuttle takes you from town to the hill and back, and personally I like staying in town more with all the places to eat and drink... (Ski in/out is just not THAT important to me, nice as it is). Besides the shuttles run every 15min or so.
And town really has character. You see locals biking with their skis to the bar (or nordic skiing to the bar), picking up their mail at the Post office, or just hanging out talking with each other.

The skiing is unreal. The steeps are some of the steepest terrain I've ever skied inbounds, and corduroy can still be found at the end of the day... powder stashes can be found 3-4 days after a dump, and the town opens late for powder-days... Teocalli Tamalie has a poster-board from this year and last showing its delayed openings / powder days! The US Freeskiing championships were in town while I was, and the party on the hill was not to be believed! People grilling, sitting in lawn chairs, (this is on the top of the hill, accessible by taking the T-bar up!) The mountain set up a beer tent, with all proceeds going to the Adaptive Sports Group (taking disabled people out to play)...
Wow. Can't wait to see what Mardi Gras brings! (this town LOVES to party!)

And its just not skiing on the hill that's fantastic, but the backcountry (complete with guide service) must be skied to be believed.

On full moons, there is a Nordic ski or snowshoe trip to a hut for dessert (and also one for brunch that did not do)
If you need to give your ski legs a break, I'd def. try out the miles of cross-country trails...

However, as great as the skiing is, the people here are even better... always friendly, happy, and willing to part with locals knowledge, such as if you sit at the bar of the Timberline and order a steak, its $17 vs the list price of $27.

My favorite happy hour is at the Dogwood Cabin, with creative cocktails and a few bites to grab at fabulous prices.
(I had the Lavender Martini, which had lavender-infused gin, and some other secret ingredients that worked well together... and I had the mac-n-cheese, which was homemade, fried balls of goodness after skiing knee-deep all day)
My Best Beer was at the Eldo (complete with live bands when ever I walked in)
My favorite pizza is at the Secret Stash... It was crowded when we walked in, but well worth the wait... and if your in need of liquid lubrication, try the "Poor boy" at the bar... a slice, a shot, a beer, for $6!
My favorite late-night place is the Lobar... a lounge in the basement of the "Company Store" complete with Sushi and a DJ.

As one local put, "you come to CB for the winter, you'll stay for the summer."
Can't wait to go back for 4th of July week!

Now, I just need to figure out how to make a living there, so I don't have to leave.