Crested Butte Mountain Review

by: flyersboy114 - Feb 7, 2008

Pros: -Good Terrian, Fast Lifts

Cons: -In the middle of no where

Recommended For: Singles, Family Friendly

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2008

I went out to visit the Air Force Academy over Martin Luther King Jr weekend. My Dad and I being avid skiers and this being our first trip out west decided to go skiing. The closest mountain to USAFA was Monarch mountain, we read some reviews, but they werent the best so we moved on to the second closest, THE BUTTE. I read some pretty amazing reviews. When we arrived it was late and got to bed right away the next morning, we took the 200 yd walk from the hotel to the lifts. It wasnt too bad cept carryin the skis which would be made easier the next two days through ski storage right on the mountian. There were NO LINES!!! at all. Skiing was great everything was groomed :'( but in the glades and the avalanch beacon traing area was fresh tracks of about mid shin powder. We didnt go on the steeps due to my dads bad knee, but they looked pretty hard core. The third day it snowed all day and conditions got better and better. I wish we coulda stayed the next day cause it snowed into that day. Overall a great place. I only waited in two lines the whole trip, and those lines were like 6 skiers long. Its great, only downfall kinda hard to get to from denver but worth it, and there are no good places to eat.