by: mark0mark - 10th December 2007

I've just experienced the largest snow fall in my entire life. Crested Butte received about 48 inches in a 48 hour period and I heard they recorded 81 inches in a 72 hour time frame... it was crazy fun!!! I realize snow varies from year to year, but with the exception of the 2006/07 year, CB always gets a lot of snow regardless to what some of the other reviews say. As a matter of fact the Gunnison county area (where CB is located) averages more snowfall consistently than any other county in Colorado annually, and it’s not just the ski area that benefits from it – backcountry skiing, snowmobiling, and spring run off for kayaking and rafting for starters This place is stunningly beautiful as well, much more than Vail or Keystone or even Steamboat in my opinion. All seasons appear to offer a magnitude of activities, environmental beauty, and wildlife – a completely gorgeous part of the world!! Plus the town and the mountain town have a lot of charisma and are lively and fun. The actual ski area isn’t huge when compared to Aspen or Vail or Snowmass, but it offers a lot of variety without having to lift hop all day long... from well groomed blues and blacks to powdery double d's in the back bowls. Also the resort is being revamped. New condo complex’s, all kind of houses being built, a base area reconstruction, and even talks of expanding the acreage to a near by mountain. Seems to be a nice up and coming resort town. I’d rate the place top 10 in the US myself, and the other negative reviewers??? I’ll bet the bi%ch about pretty much everything.