Breckenridge Review

by: anonymous_user - Nov 23, 2007

Date Visited: Nov 23, 2007

Wow! What an experience. Both for skiing and the Vacation. My Wife and Kids loved walking and window shopping after a long day on the hill. The Town is just the right size to walk around and big enough to escape Main Streets Restaurants and T-shirt shops and discover it's Victorian Historic Past and beautiful riverwalk.
We arrived on Presidents Weekend finding DIA(Denver International Airport) hectic as no transport could get the 100 miles to the mountains because of the excesive snow that had fallen. I had prebooked on Resort express and after 3 hours I-70 opened they called our names and we were on our way.
The skiing has something for everyone, and alot of it. I warmed up on Peak 10 groomers Blues,Blue Blacks and even Blacks,just the right pitch and length to get the adrenaline flowing. I took a Group Lesson with an Instructor named JJ in an advanced Level 8 class. There were only five of us and he took us back to Peak 10. I was happy, but after a group warm up to check our skiing he dropped a weaker skiier to another group We disappeared into the trees never to see another groomed run until lunch. "The Burn" Blackdiamond powder bumps throuh the trees was epic. After a few runs JJ helped every one in the class get over our fears and with individual tips he transformed us. The "South Side" of Peak 10 was very special, double diamond powder bumps and in some places very steep. Best of all where we were going we barely saw any other skiers. It was busy on the mountain but with the guide we would pass on a busy lift to find less people elsewhere. After lunch we went to the "North Side" of Peak 9 riding E Chair 4 or 5 times to access "The Windows". Steep Avalanche chutes through the trees, and then "The Neddles Eye" An Incredibly steep narrow shot for nearly 1000 vertical feet. JJ explained the dangers, taught us amazing control and fluidity in such a knarly place and most of all how to stop if we fell before we shred ourselves through the trees at the bottom.
We rode the Super connect chair to Peak 8 up chair 6 to Imperial Express. My head was reeling from the terrain we were passing but JJ said it would be worth it when we got to the top. And the top was nearly 13000 feet elevation. We traversed to Peak 7 skiing fast GS turns down the ridge on creamy packed powder before dropping into "Art's Bowl".Steep and the deepest snow of the day over knee and some of the lightest snow I've ever Skiied.
I stayed in the same lesson over the week as did my wife and kids in there groups, we would occassionly pass each even take a run with eachother as the Instructors were very accomodating.
I will be back for sure. And even though I have been to most of the major resorts in the west, Breckenridge has the best overall appeal.