by: Dave O - 19th May 2011

Great Spring Conditions. Impeccable grooming.
Too windy up top. Expensive lifts.

This was my second time skiing in the Rockies. First was a A-Basin a few years ago. I'm a mid-Atlantic skier so Breckenridge was pure heaven to me. Skied for two days April 8-9, 2011. Trails were groomed to perfection. So many high speed lifts. Very short lines, even on Saturday. Such variety to the trails. I especially liked Peak 7 since the trails had such fun dips and peaks. But, 7 got pretty crowded so I continued to move to the higher numbered peaks. Took the T-bar as high as I could go that day. I was shocked that they didn't have a real lift there. It was crazy windy and the person in front of me ended up falling off of the bar. No worries as he was able to ride down from there but it still seemed odd that with all of the great lifts elsewhere on the resort that they'd have a T-bar up here. Near the top (about 12,000 feet) was practically whiteout conditions in the wind. The groomed trail was solid ice but that happens in the Spring when stuff refreezes. I'm glad I did it once but didn't do it again that weekend. The staff was outstanding. If I stood still for more than a short bit, someone came by and asked if I needed any help. Wow. A helpful "information guy" was very knowledgeable and told me where all of the groomed black runs were and recommended which ones suited my skiing best. He was right on and I had a blast on Peak 10 for the rest of the day on Saturday. Overall, I was expecting the trails to be more difficult than the ones I was accustomed to in the East. People told me, "Oh, their blues are like our blacks!" I didn't find that the case at all at Breck. The blues there were no worse than the mid-Atlantic blues. They were wider and less steep on average. The blacks weren't that bad either. I didn't venture on to the double blacks as they were primarily ungroomed bump runs. Overall, definitely worth the steep price of the lift tickets. I stayed relatively cheaply at the Great Divide Lodge (Spring Prices) and was very close to the lifts (about 500 feet away). The people there were awesome as well. I will be back to Breck for vacation next season with my 11 year old son.