First time at Breck won't be last

by: OnTheSnowAgain - Mar 30, 2010

Pros: beginner to intermediate

Cons: spring break lines and speeders

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

This was the first time I've skied 25 years, so I was excited but apprehensive. My family has never skied before. I put them into ski school for a full day. At the end of the first day, my kids were both skiing at the level I would expect. Now that they had control, it was time to get them out of the wedge and teach them how to really ski. My wife had issues, quit halfway thru the day and never went back. I don't know if that reflects on the ski school or not though. I was really hoping she would do well that first day and be ready to progress. I skied by myself the first day on the blues, getting it all back. Over the next 2 days at Breck, the kids went from improving on the basics and increasing their confidence on the greens, to handling the blue runs with control, confidence, and pretty good pace.

I expected the lines to be long at spring break. We waited 10 to 20 minutes at the lifts. The staff was friendly, even with the crowds. There were plenty of long blue runs for the kids to progress on and fall in love with skiing. Skiing came back to me pretty quick, and Breck had plenty to keep me challenged and progress on. The snow was good. We had 3 days of sunshine and the runs were in good shape. Had a little bit of ice one morning, but it loosened up.

Only complaints were high priced food and a couple of speeders that almost took me out. One tried to cut it close just in front of me and went over my skis. That girl was FLYING, and if she had hit me that fast we would have both been hurt for sure. I only saw staff watching for speeders once, and would like to see more of that.

We rode the bus the first day from Frisco. After that, we drove ourselves and wondered why we put up with the bus. Parking was easy and cost us 5$.

Can't say much about the nightlife. We were all so beat at the end of the day, we all wanted to hang out in the room.

Overall, we had a GREAT time and can't wait to go back.