First time at A Basin won't be my last

by: fonixmunkee - Nov 18, 2009

Pros: Cheap, Steep, Snow

Cons: Slow lifts

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Nov 1, 2009

Thursday, November 12th, was the first time I ever skied A Basin. There were only two runs open. But I freakin' loved it. You want to know why? Because it's one of those little resorts that most people overlook. And that's the best part.

A Basin is to Colorado what Alta is to Utah...the overlooked diamond-in-the-rough. Sure, people know the name, but most people would rather hit the Vails or the Snowbirds because they're big and advertised. A Basin just sits quietly, with an awesome staff, great snow (yea, there was some real snow there and not all man-made), and a great apres location.

So there's not much to say since there were only two runs open, but it's safe to say that I can see the potential for greatness in A Basin's terrain. Snow had already started filling in a lot of the rest of the resort, and it's mostly above-treeline terrain looked terrific. We skied a top-to-bottom run all day long without ever getting tired of it. The triple-chair at the ticket office is OK for speed, but the double that takes you up to the top after that is too darn slow...and that's a small complaint for this time of season.

The 6th Avenue bar at A Basin is probably the best apres location I've been to in a long time. Lots of great locals, and a friendly staff willing to listen to a FIB's story or two. Decent priced micro brews too. And the thai wings are to die for.

I look forward to making it out to A Basin when everything is filled in. The terrain looks completely sick, and I'm willing to bet you could probably find some fresh a day or two after a storm...