by: - 4th March 2014

Size, Terrain
Limited lifts open

Squaw Valley has the terrain to be an amazing resort, but due to limited open lifts I left after 2 days of riding very disappointed. The night before our first day, 8" of snow fell, but they only had 3 or 4 lifts open + the funicular. They said lifts were on hold due to wind, but the wind really wasn't that bad. I think because it was a Friday and the crowds were not terrible, they just didn't want to go through the trouble of running extra lifts. The Gold Coast Express lift got boring really fast. Our second day of riding was a Saturday and crowds were an issue. While more lifts were open than Friday, they still had many that were closed. Also, they don't really try to manage their lift lines and how lines merge in any way. This results in a free for all type feel that made it difficult to keep our group of 6 close together and had a lot of people glaring at each other when people cut or think they are being cut. All of these issues can be improved upon and I am hopeful that these are temporary due to this seasons historically low snowfall and any associated reductions in staffing.