by: MCPG - 26th January 2009

Homey, Comfortable Mountain
Odd Parking Layout, Long Walk to Base Area

Sierra Summit is a friendly, comfortable mountain with a "locals' favorite" kind of feel. The terrain is varied and there is something for every skier's skill level. I had skied Tahoe and found those resorts sort of commercial and touristy, especially Heavenly Valley. Kirkwood was less so, as was Sierra at Tahoe. While on the smaller side, Sierra Summit gave me plenty of runs to keep me happy. We were there when there had not been any fresh snow for a couple of weeks and the coverage was beginning to get a little thin. In fact, a local buddy with whom I was skiing gashed his ski base pretty good on an unmarked rock on Tamarack. It was early January and we were skiing in short sleeves and spring-like conditions. It doesn't get any better...unless you don't destroy a ski. That would be better. At any rate, I had a great couple of days at Sierra Summit. I felt very welcome and comfortable. We skied on a Sunday and Monday. Sunday was uncrowded and Monday was practacally deserted. Even so, it was a hike to the lifts from the car! Be prepared to walk because the parking is sort of spread out. Not a big enough deal to really complain about but I had to have a con of some sort. Bottom line; I'll be back.