Well kept Secret

by: yarg58 - Mar 24, 2010

Pros: Great snow, variety of terrain, never too crowded

Cons: Needs upgrades to lifts and lodge area, no night life

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

I live in LA. and I have been coming up here for 25 years. I usually stay in Shaver Lake at a friends home ( 20 miles away), but I also can stay slope side at the inn. Most people I know in the L A. area don't know about this area and go either to Mammoth or the Big Bear in the San Bernadino mountains.
Mammoth is a 5 hour drive from LA and is great, but it has gotten very expensive. Big Bear/Snow Summit (the sister resort to Sierra Summit) is 3 hours (depending on traffic). The latter is usually quite crowded on weekends in addition to tons of traffic. Sierra Summit even on holiday weekends has shorter lines, in addition has much more skiable terrain variety and gets alot more snow. It on the other hand, has no night skiing (or night life for that matter) and the lodge and the lifts could be updated for sure. However, if you are mostly in to skiing or boarding with a good vairety of terrain to choose from without long lines or traffic, and cheaper lift tickets. It is worth it to me to drive and extra hour or two there for what it has to offer over the San Bernadino resorts.