by: anonymous_user - 5th January 2008

Northstar at Tahoe has been my favorite resort since I first visited in 1998. The backside of Northstar has always been the best place to ski, until now. My father, my brother and I drove the ten hours to get up to Tahoe from San Diego, and we were utterly disappointed with the coverage, the prices, and the grooming at Northstar. On January 2nd, most of the runs that said that they were groomed the night before were either extremely icy or still had moguls from the skiing from the day before. The backside runs had bad coverage and were not groomed what so ever. We waited in long lines for everything, from the ticket line, to the gondola, to all of the lift lines, as well as the restaurants. The mountain was extremely crowded and we spent more time waiting to get on to a crowded chair then we did skiing down the mountain. During our stay at Tahoe we also visited Alpine Meadows and Kirkwood, and both resorts were much better than Northstar. Both Alpine and Kirkwood had better coverage, had groomed a majority of their runs, and were not nearly as crowded as Northstar. We were able to take more runs off of the non-high speed chairs at Kirkwood in three hours than we were able to take all day at Northstar. If this vacation is any indication, we probably will not be returning to Northstar, but will spend our time and money at better resorts such as Kirkwood and Alpine Meadows.