Best in the South West

by: bjanney - Jan 4, 2011

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Runs, Great View, Easy Drive

Cons: none... only 1 or 2 Green Runs

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

I was up at Mount Baldy Snow Boarding most of the last week in December. There was some road damage from the storms in the beginning of the month, and that did cause some road closers. But I went up early (before 8am) and never had any issues.

As soon as you reach the parking lot you get welcomed to Mt. Baldy and they help you park, this help us park in less than 5 min! At the beginning of the week Chair 4 was closed but it opened on 12-28. And the only run closed after that was the run under Chair 1.

The Grooming is great! Super Smooth and fun runs. It looked like they now groom every major run! But they still have the un-groomed runs through the trees. They now have snow fences on most of the runs, it looks to me like they really help hold the snow on Rollercoaster and Skyline. They got about 4 inches of snow on the 26th, and it was snowing all day on January 2nd and most of the 3rd.

From the top of Chair 3 I could see all of Catalina Island, San Clemente Island, and one other island to the north of Catalina. We could also see Downtown LA!!

We spent New Years up at the Mt. Baldy Lodge and that was a blast. They had a DJ start up around 8pm and go all night long and the place was packed full with everyone dancing. On the night of the 30th there was a long line to ride the chair down the mountain, but this didn't seem to phase anyone because the bar was kept open at the Notch with great music playing till 9pm!

Since this mountain is only a 2 hour drive for me from San Diego it's now the only place I go! If you like to ride in the park this place may not be for you. But if you like steep runs and no crowds this place is for you.