Mt. Baldy is for the Adventurous, Wild and Free Skier

by: soldustlove - Dec 20, 2010

Pros: Advanced Big Mountain Feel. Rugged. Real.

Cons: There are NONE if you get that you will NOT be hand held here.

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

I have skied at most of the GREAT mountains in the world; east and western USA, Canada, Europe and Mt Baldy is my top ten favorite mountains anywhere and by far my favorite mountain in South California.

One should not judge this place. It is pure. Simple. Raw and rough. It is a place that allows us to experience skiing and adventure as it should be: unfettered by rules and laws and control. It is one of the last few ski mountains in the country that puts trust in our own ability to measure risk and reward, to ultimately be responsible for our own experience.

The mixed reviews for Mt. Baldy are simply because it seems many people come expecting to be pampered and hand held... to be provided with the "services" and "safety" that most resorts provide.

Baldy is more like a remote uncharted back country mountain that you climb yourself for beauty and the thrill and adventure of descending a natural rugged tree and rock filled edge undisturbed by man and technology. The almost inconceivable bonus... there are LIFTS! The fact that they are old and slow is entirely irrelevant! I have nothing but a smile on my face as I get on the lift thinking that I just drove from a 70 degree day in LA in 50 minutes arriving at an amazing mountain I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO CLIMB/HIKE up because I would. It's that great.