A Very Mediocre Experience

by: Duffman - Jan 7, 2010

Pros: Fast lifts

Cons: A total ice rink underneath the first layer of snow

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

As a skier, I wasn't expecting much for going to a southern california mountain. But even with that in mind I was very dissapointed. You can't leave anything not locked in a locker, because it would be stolen the second you walked away. Lockers cost $1 each time you open it, so if you need to get stuff throughout the day, say good by to your dollar bills. When I went to get my rentals, the guy who "helped" me could not figure out how to size the standard ski binding to my boot, needed help to size it, and he didn't even know what size ski to give me. Looking at the west resort trail map, my friend and I decided to try out one of the black diamond runs on the mountain. Unbelievable!! They're "advanced' runs would barely be considered intermediate at any other mountain. The "snow" is just a bunch of fake snow with a layer of extremely hard ice underneath. The snow melts during the 45 degree days and then freezes solid at night. Very oriented towards snowboarding. If you are a snowboarder, and just want terrain parks, then this is the place for you. Overall, I would might consider going there if it had just been dumped on by 3 feet of snow, but other than that I would not go near the place.